27 January, 2012

Aussie Slang





 





When I started blogging I never realised that it would be such a global arena. I have noticed friends and followers from more exotic parts of the world have been a little baffed by some of the 'lingo' (language) I use in my posts. 'Aussies' have a reputation for being carefree, relaxed, happy-go-lucky with an entire vocab of words (slang) only understood by fellow Australians.

So to help out our friends from across the globe here are few translations :-
aussie (pronounced ozzie) = Australian
g'day = hello
thongs = flipflips
mate = friend
rashie = lycra t-shirt for beach / swimming
barbie = barbequee
prawn = shrimp
bloke = guy / man
icy poles = popsicle
bathers = swimming costume, togs, cossie
fairdinkum' = no kidding

The list goes on but these are few that may pop up in my posts from time to time.

Melissah xox

Images via 1, 2, 34, 5, 6, 7 (That's me in the rashie!)

10 comments:

beachcomber said...

a good idea to translate.. & between states there is different lingo as well. melbourne = bathers sydney = cossies ; ) love the beach huts you have in melbourne, not sure of the correct name for those.
x

Susan said...

Ha! Rashie is the only one I didn't know - it must be fairly new slang; I haven't lived in Australia since '92.

I hope you had a great Australia Day!

Karla {Ironmum Karla} said...

Ha we must confuse our overseas counterparts...I do love the photos, heaps of colour and really showing off our best assets!

Tania Maree @ Scandi Coast Home (Australia) said...

Happy Australia Day to you too!!!
I have added you to my BLOG * LOVE list because you are so fabulous in everything you do...
Tania Maree xx (Aussie, Aussie, Aussie...)

Beach Coast Style said...

omg!!! Thank you so much for that little key of word meanings Aussie Style! I was so wondering what some of them meant, but I didn't want to sound like the typical American :-) not bad being American, but sometimes I just don't know. An icy pole you say? How cute!

Shaz said...

Love the beach boxes with the porches. I am pretty sure the beach box with the Australian flag painted on the front is the same one that is just around the corner from where we live.

Shaz said...

Love the beach boxes with the porches. I am pretty sure the beach box with the Australian flag painted on the front is the same one that is just around the corner from where we live.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Haha, this is great Melissah. I frighten myself with some of the Aussie lingo I come out with now and then. Though I kind of like it too ;o) Love those bright colourful pics, just gorgeous xo

Kaybe said...

lol... that clears up a few things for me.

Mike said...

I want to be at the beach now and play in the sand.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and puts a smile on my face!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...