17 January, 2012

Caravan In Style







Next time I go camping I think I will ditch my husband's 20 year old leaky tent for a waterproof caravan ...just like the cute one above. I grew up camping so I have romantic notions of camping out under the stars and toasting marshmallows on an open fire! Now let me fill you in on the reality of my camping adventures on our road trip. For a start it was a total fire ban, so no open fires and the nearest shop to buy marshmallows is about 150 km's away so that was the end of the toasted marshmallows but the worst is yet to come! After a great day of exploring and hiking we returned to our cute little campsite surrounded by a sea of rainwater after an unexpected downpour. Everything inside the tent was soaked through including pillows, blankets, duvets and bedlinen (yes, I camp in both style and comfort) and my entire bag of clothes and shoes were totally saturated. So rather than despair - we grabbed our soggy gear and headed  a few kms up the road to the four star luxury Wilderness Retreat where we booked into the a room with a king size bed and ensuite. We threw everything in their dryers and by 8 o'clock we were sitting down at their restaurant dining on eye filet steak with a glass of red ... now that beats baked beans, sausages and a leaky tent any day!

Melissah xox

Images via 1-23a (Ada & Darcy), 3b

6 comments:

michelle said...

I would love to camp in this, how cute! I am glad that your road trip ended well, that would be horrible to have to sit in all the wet. xoxo

SOMMERWHITE said...

That caravan is so cute :)
Loving the summer pastel colors xo

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I'd say you made lemonade out of your lemons!

Susan said...

I agree - "camping" in a luxury hotel with steak for dinner does beat your typical campfire fare :)

I love "Audree" (the trailer you have featured) - I want one just like her!

kerrie of sea cottage said...

I have been camping all my life. For 15 yrs. hubby and I (and children) tent camped. We had our camping packing and routine down. We camped even while I was 8 mos pregnant. 7 yrs. ago our friends sold us their vintage caravan and camping(glamping) has never been better. the inside was already adorable, but the outside needed some tlc. We painted her aqua and hubby had to re-seal the roof. Then within our first two years of camping in her we discovered a gas leak(so no more use of the stove), all electrical stopped working, the wall that the door is on is so dryrotted that we are afraid it will fall off, etc etc. So we are waiting for time and money to completely renovate. We are going to go nautical and contemporary when we renovate. If you want to see her now www.vintagecottagecamper.blogspot.com and meet The Pearl. It really makes camping wonderful! I like glamping better than staying in hotels.

Mama of 2 boys said...

Now that is a hilarious camping story. Not so hilarious about the wet clothes, but it is funny, because I always imagine if we were ever to try our hands at camping, this is exactly how it would end up ;o)
That is fantastic you were able to use the plan b option... and it sounded mighty luxurious to boot!
Love your pics of that pretty little caravan though, too cute :o) xo

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and puts a smile on my face!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...