LOVING THESE SENSIBLE, NO-NONSENSE TIPS
TO GET YOUR NEW YEAR EATING BACK ON TRACK...
1. Always eat breakfast People who skip breakfast are more likely to be overweight. Eating first thing in the morning revs up your metabolism and really gets you going for the day.
2. Don’t skip meals People who do, often find themselves feeling hungry (because their blood sugar levels have dropped) that they turn to foods like biscuits or lollies for a quick sugar fix.
3.Eat smaller portions. To prevent overeating serve meals on smaller plates and stop eating when you feel satisfied rather than uncomfortably full. As a wise friend once said: the best exercise for losing weight is to push yourself away from the table!
4. Make water your first option Have a drink of water if you feel like something between meals because you may need fluids, not food. Research suggests that having two glasses of water before a meal reduces the quantity of food you consume.
5. Slow down Allowing at least 20 minutes to eat your meal gives your brain time to register that you are satisfied. So take small mouthfuls and chew your food well.
6. Keep track of your weight Weigh yourself weekly to monitor what’s happening with your weight. People who weigh themselves regularly are more successful at maintaining their weight.
7. Eat at the table Don’t mindlessly eat in front of the TV. By eating together as a family at the dining table, it slows down food consumption and you tend to eat less.
8. Eat rainbows The easiest way to ensure a healthy diet with a good intake of vitamins and minerals and other vital antioxidants is to always have a colourful array of foods on your plate.
9. Spice up your diet Herbs and spices are rich sources of antioxidants so add oregano and mint to your Greek salad, a few basil leaves to your tomato salad and lemongrass, ginger and chilli to your favourite Thai salad dressing.
10. Make it wholegrain. Choose wholegrain bread and other grain foods instead of overly processed varieties because they are the best energy foods for the brain and working muscles.
Check out Coastal Style on tumblr and Pinterest