Now this really is a summer treat.
Rich, velvety, dark chocolate homemade ice-cream.
This is bound to be a huge success at your next summer barbeque or get together.
Serve it up in a waffle cone for extra fun!
This chocolate ice cream is smooth and creamy
- a great base for a multitude of combinations.
Why not added some chopped up Bounty for a tropical feel
or some macadamia nuts for some extra crunch!
Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
2 c. half and half
1 1/2 c. whole milk
1 c. heavy cream
1 c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
hefty dash of sea salt
1/2 c. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
3/4 c. dark chocolate, chopped
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
How to -
1. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine half and half, whole milk, heavy cream, 1 cup of sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Give it a little taste to make sure you have enough salt.
2. In a bowl, whisk together well the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
3. Over medium-high heat, heat milk mixture until sugar dissolves and begins to simmer. Stir in cocoa powder and chopped chocolate until combined. Bring back to simmer.
4. Slowly pour about one cup of the simmering milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs (a.k.a. cook the eggs without scrambling them). Add egg mixture to saucepan, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.
5. Pour mixture through a strainer into a large bowl. Cover and let cool to room temperature. Place in fridge for about 3 hours. To speed up the cooling process, place bowl in an ice bath in the fridge, or place in the freezer sans ice bath until chilled.
6. Once mixture is cold, make ice cream according to your machine’s instructions.
Recipe and images via The Faux Martha